- You will gain deep insight into local culture. In fact, you can watch the entire life cycle of couple’s relationship — meeting, courtship, marriage, first baby, the inevitable descent into nagging and stony silence — as the bus crawls sllloooowwwly past.
- You can complete all of the primary research required for a PhD dissertation on coastal Colombian botany before reaching your destination.
- You save money on dental work later after losing your teeth jouncing on spring-less seats.
- You can invent new yoga poses trying to cram your frame into the insufficient seat space. Bonus: you will never again complain about the legroom on budget airlines.
- You will become expert at the full spectrum of screeching noises created by shifting without a transmission. And the wide variation in horn tones. Also, the broad definition of items considered “luggage,” including — and I’m not exaggerating here — an entire bed frame and bathtub-sized bucket of sardines.
- You can make millions* organizing a gambling pool on the recurring games of chicken that the bus driver plays with oncoming semis.
- You get to figure out how to use toilets like these.
8. And wonder how cars like this — with neither door nor seatbelt to hold in this Croc-clad little child — are allowed to cruise the streets.
*Millions of Colombian pesos, of course, which aren’t worth a whole lot.